Monday, August 25, 2008

Some HRC People Are Losing It, and She's Paving the Way!

I said it because somebody had to say it.

Hillary Clinton could have CRUSHED Obama discontent among her supporters. But she knew it would be worth more if they stayed in a lather. When her supporters started pushing the idea of "casting a symbolic first ballot" for her at the DNC convention, she should have said the following:

"Look. We fought. We lost. Now we band together behind Obama. If you want to help me, that's what you do. I don't want to hear any of you talking about me anymore. Not a word. Don't hold on to grudges. Help me get Obama elected, maybe I can get appointed Secretary of State (or whatever), and from there, I'll become your next president."

INSTEAD, Clinton talked about the need for catharsis in a clip that went viral through YouTube to all her fans (who turned frenzied by her comments, as if to say NOT having that convention vote was a slight). I call it "dropping bread crumbs," and it applies to politics as well as relationships. If you want something to end, you unequivocally cut ties. HRC hasn't done that. Not even remotely. She's shrugged her shoulders and acted like it she had no control over her supporters. Bull (excrement)!

Respectfully, the catharsis remark might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard Senator Clinton make. Individuals compete every day and lose. Their proponents compete every day and lose. Only unadulterated arrogance makes Clinton (and her people) believe they're entitled to something special because they came close. Hey, New England Patriots....you lost to the Giants, but have a parade anyway! You need a catharsis!!!

Clinton and her higher ups have created an environment where everything that is done can now be churned by Republicans to make Clinton supporters even angrier.

You know how Obama was supposed to tell his supporters by text message of his VP selection BEFORE the media got the news. Well, when CNN leaked it, Obama's folks had to send out text messages in the middle of the night for fear of being perceived as liars. The Obama campaign 's thought process was, "At least our folks will have it first thing when they wake up."

How did it get spun? From CNN:

"Some Republicans and others suggested that Obama’s 3 a.m. ET email had been intended as a deliberate swipe at Hillary Clinton, who ran a primary season ad that referenced that hour of the morning to make the case she was more qualified to handle a breaking crisis."

I promise you, somewhere Clinton supporters will take this as an attack because Clinton let the "world against us" mentality fester instead of telling her people to "let it go."

Also, Clinton supporters are churning discontent because she was not on the Obama VP "short list." One quote from a "high ranking official" was that they knew she wouldn't be selected, but at least she should have been vetted. Ummm....was this the same person who came up with the catharsis comment?!? Why in the hell would you have a campaign devote time, money, and energy to vetting somebody who everybody knows will NOT be selected, just so Clinton can say, "Look at me! I'm being vetted! WHEEE!!!!"

I wanted Biden as president when this began, and when the primary came to Indiana, I voted for Obama. It was a VERY close call for me, though, because I've always had tremendous respect for HRC (she would have destroyed McCain in the debates). But now I lose more of that respect each day.

HRC is signaling through her actions and unspoken words that she would rather have Obama LOSE so she can fight McCain four years from now than to have to potentially wait for 8 years to go up against Biden.

To her credit, HRC has opted NOT to do the ceremonial first ballot. Let's hope that's the start of the REAL end of the HRC campaign.

ADDENDUM:

The Washington Post Live Wire reports the following from Denver:

Hillary Clinton struck back today at John McCain's efforts to woo her supporters in new television ads. “I’m Hillary Clinton and I do not approve that message," Clinton said of the ads that suggest Obama passed over the New York senator because he was threatened by his primary rival.
Had Hillary shut it down, this ad wouldn't have worked. In fact, it would have sounded stupid. But because Clinton didn't speak more emphatically to her supporters to "get over it," Democrats are now wasting mental energy deflecting this non-story. Of course, Clinton loves it because she's in the spotlight, which you have to believe is what she knew would happen. The woman is many things, but politically stupid isn't one of them, except in the following regard. Obama supporters were gracious in victory, but I doubt they will easily forget her tactics when she wants a turn.


Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked for HRC in one of the early states and frankly this crap is making me sick. By the time it got to Indiana I voted for Obama. This crap is so juvenile. You should see the stuff that goes out on the HRC list-serve about encouraging people to write her in.
I've never like sore losers, and now I'm disgusted I worked for one.

Kelly said...

I'm frustrated that Hillary did not quash her supporters' discontent and, like you, I believe she could have. I was admittedly an Obama supporter from early on, but Hillary's actions of late do nothing but vidicate my difficult-to-articulate uneasy feelings about her.

Mann Law, P.C. said...

"Look. We fought. We lost. Now we band together behind Obama. If you want to help me, that's what you do. I don't want to hear any of you talking about me anymore. Not a word. Don't hold on to grudges. Help me get Obama elected, maybe I can get appointed Secretary of State (or whatever), and from there, I'll become your next president."

Then the Obama people would say she is talking about the line of succession. Maybe not such a good idea to give the speech you promote.

Anonymous said...

HRC has proven one of my lingering suspicions about the Clinton dynasty: they are devoted Democrats so long as the Democratic party can do something for them, but if the party isn't giving them a leg up, they could care less about the party.

I've said from day one that HRC would either be the nominee or work to subvert anybody else who won the nod. Members of my own family said I was nuts at the time. I get smarter and smarter every day.

By the time I'm McCain's age, I'll be the smartest human being ever....

Chris Worden said...

True Conservative:

Ha ha ha! Good call. Revised remarks should be: "Then after Obama serves out his terms, I can run for the open presidential seat with improved bona fides."

Anonymous said...

Those crazed loonies who want to sink the Obama ship dont realize that in doing so that they will only sink HRC also.